Sustainable building materials help conserve the environment and reduce pollution. When you think of ‘green’ materials that are trending, you are likely to name reclaimed wood, recycled paper products, or hemp fabrics, to name a few. However, very few people consider glass as a sustainable building material.
You can recycle glass as many times as possible. Glass consists of natural sand sediments that can be easily crushed and become a moldable liquid when heated. Manufacturers and artisans use this moldable liquid to create new items such as soda bottles, glass panels, and frosted glass. Additionally, recycling glass requires less energy than manufacturing new glass.
Let us look at the environmental benefits of choosing glass as a sustainable material.
- Glass is sustainable and 100% recyclable. Glass is 100% reusable, and you can recycle it several times without reducing its quality. When you recycle glass, you save energy, reduce water and air pollution, and conserve natural resources.
- We all have concerns about climate change, making it essential to find a material that shields us from harmful UV rays from the sun. Glass is not affected by ultraviolet rays and will not crack, discolor or disintegrate. It will also protect you from dangerous UV rays.
- Glass is resistant to corrosion and most chemicals since tempered glass is durable and can withstand most weather conditions. It will retain its appearance and quality through the seasons without degrading. Glass is stable in both cold and hot weather.
- The smooth glossy surface of the glass makes it dustproof and waterproof. The waterproof and dustproof glass qualities make it ideal for you to use for your patio, where there is exposure to a lot of dust and rainwater. Glass is easy to clean and maintain.
- The see-through quality of glass allows you to enjoy the views outside your house. You will get natural light flowing into your house even when the windows are closed. Glass transmits natural sunlight without any yellowing or clouding, thus brightening the home and enhancing the mood.
- You can get glass in many different colors. Different colored glass tints and films make it possible for you to change the appearance of glass. You can get a laminated glass with colored interlayers for a striking lighting effect.
- Glass makes a building look sophisticated, modern and adds to its beauty. You can complement any design with glass to take the aesthetic of the building to the next level.
- Glass is a poor conductor of electricity that ensures that you are safe from electrical hazards without free electrons. This insulation property makes glass versatile, and you can use it for ceiling lighting, and it is safe to use with other electrical appliances.
- Insulated glass is also more energy-efficient, making it eco-friendly and excellent in today’s contemporary world. The double-pane glass has thermal insulation properties that regulate temperatures. The glass prevents heat from going in or out of a room throughout the year, leading to less use of electronic appliances such as air conditioners in summer and heaters during winter. Thermal insulation makes it easy to achieve desired temperatures without excessive use of energy. Less use of these appliances reduces the carbon footprint and contributes to an eco-friendly environment. You will need less energy to regulate temperatures in the building, which leads to lower power bills. Insulated glass units can improve energy efficiency by up to 50%.
Glass is more durable and easier to maintain than other materials such as wood and plastic. Glass retains its shine for decades, and you can easily recycle it when it breaks or loses its luster. Let us look at some creative ways to use recycled glass around your home.
- Make modern art and curios.
It is unusual to find glass art in homes or offices. You can create a unique art piece by painting or creating scratched art with paint and a toothpick and attaching them to the wall using brackets. You can also use leftover glass, broken tiles, and beads to make mosaic art. Additionally, you can recycle old and broken glass into beautiful modern trinkets to display on your cabinets or glass shelves. You can use lights around the art and curio pieces to make them stand out.
- Use glass boards instead of whiteboards.
Replacing traditional whiteboards with glass boards is a revolutionary way to enhance productivity while promoting energy conservation. Glass boards are a modern communication solution that consists of tempered glass, making them durable.
Whiteboards get stained with ink over time, giving them an untidy and unprofessional appearance. Therefore, you need to replace whiteboards regularly.
Other ways to incorporate glass into your building design include glass tabletops, glass walls and doors, and glass skylights. You can help conserve the environment and have a beautiful, stylish and modern home.
Take the first step and buy the highest quality glass products at competitive market rates from Glassupply.com. We work with you to customize your products to ensure a perfect fit and avoid wastage. Additionally, we supply the products to your doorstep and give you a one-year manufacturer’s guarantee.